Monday, November 2, 2015

Son of the Mob (Existential Thoughts)

"There's nothing wrong with what dad does!" page 95

I am going back and revising this post on SotM. From the pages of the book that I actually read, I feel this quote is one that really resonates with the purpose of the book. We all know that Vince's dad is in the mob and that Vince doesn't approve of what his father does. The problem between Vince and his father is the fact that both have judgments about the other. Vince hates what his father does, and is also resents it as well. But why does this matter? After going back over and thinking about this, it is apparent that Vince is scared of what will happen to his family if/when his father is caught. Now that he is dating the daughter of THE agent who could end everything for them , Vince has more to lose. What is ironic is that we know that the reason Anthony wants Vince to be ok with what he does is the fact that he wants his son to be the one to take over his business once he dies. For me personally, there would be no way I could take over a business I resent! I believe that for Vince his problems grow immensely when he realizes that he is the sole person responsible for carrying his fathers truth and is also the keeper of that truth. Kendra's relationship between the two is what drives this change in Vince. Now, because he wants to continue to see her, he has no choice but to accommodate his fathers business because he knows that if he doesn't and he's not too careful--it could all be gone and his father could be in prison. But can we blame Vince for his feelings in the first place? When Vince was 16 for his birthday he was given a car from his father--and was later arrested! He found out that the car was stolen and this sparks a rage of disgust for what his father does. This makes me think of my grandfather and what it was like growing up with him--he had a number of businesses, one however was illegal. He ran a number house and I can remember him getting arrested one day because it was illegal! From that day forward I hated going to visit because I knew he wouldn't stop, and like Vince, we both had to carry a truth that we knew could eventually hurt our families.


I give this book a 4.3/5

1 comment:

  1. For this entry, you were supposed to utilize a promote from Probst's Dialogue with a Text. Because you fell behind, you haven't been able to gather responses from your classmates. You are also dancing on the surface of response--are you reading? I am wondering--

    ReplyDelete